Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Getting to know me

When I was five years old, I told my mother what I wanted to be when I grew up: a ballet dancer, animal doctor, and tuba player. By second grade I had things a bit more figured out, and I wanted to be a paleontologist. But in high school, my true dream had cemented. I wanted to become a teacher. I decided to make sure and volunteered for two years teaching English in Kazakhstan with the Peace Corps. I'm so thankful I did that, because I left thinking I wanted to be a high school teacher and came back knowing that upper elementary kids were my true heart.

As evidenced above, I love to travel. I find other cultures absolutely fascinating. I love learning about different ways that people see the world and how many different ways we humans can organize our lives. I also love cooking, especially foreign food. Sometimes my creations don't always turn out, but I eat them anyway (most of the time). I'm a huge fan of reading, and even with the plethora of reading assignments for our MAT program I still try to squeeze in a quick 15 minutes with a novel or National Geographic before bed. I also love the outdoors, although I haven't managed to squeeze in any hikes lately.

1 comment:

  1. What an incredible experience it must have been for you in the Peace Corp. And it helped you narrow the age level you wish to teach. Welcome aboard.

    ReplyDelete